Why Elementary Counseling?
The American School Counseling Association says:
"Elementary school years set the tone for developing the knowledge, attitudes and skill necessary for children to become healthy, competent and confident learners. Through a comprehensive developmental school counseling program, school counselors work as a team with the school staff, parents and the community to create a caring climate and atmosphere. By providing education, prevention, early identification and intervention, school counselors can help all children achieve academic success. The professional elementary school counselor holds a master’s degree and required state certification in school counseling. Maintaining certification includes on-going professional development to stay current with education reform and challenges facing today’s students. Professional association membership enhances the school counselor’s knowledge and effectiveness."
What Does a School Counselor Do?
- Classroom guidance lessons- I visit each class twice a month to teach lessons that focus on academic achievement, career awareness, and personal/social growth.
- Conflict Resolution- I meet with individuals or small groups to assist them in resolving conflicts.
- Small group counseling- Lunch time counseling groups are available to all students. These are general support groups. Topics that may be discussed include making friends, developing social skills, developing study skills, problem solving, divorce, building self-esteem, and many more!
- Individual counseling- Certain students may require individual counseling appointments to better address their needs. Please contact me if you feel your child would benefit from one on one counseling sessions. Keep in mind that outside counseling services may be recommended depending on the problem.
- Community Resources- I coordinate with school staff and community resources to assist students and their families.
- Crisis intervention and prevention- I serve on the emergency response team and respond if a crisis should occur on school grounds.
- Intervention & Referral Services- I am the leader of the I&RS Team. If a student is having difficulty performing to their best ability their teacher may come to the Intervention & Referral Services Team for assistance. The I&RS team is a group of professionals who brainstorm interventions that can address the student and teacher's concern.
- 504 Plan Coordinator- I work with parents and teachers to support students who have medical diagnoses and who are in need of a 504 Accommodation Plan in school.
- Special Programs & Events- I coordinate special programs and events for CBS students. For example, the Connections Mentoring Program, the Book Mates program, the new student get- togethers, Week of Respect activities, Violence Prevention Week activities, and many more!