Our goal is to promote literacy and help young children become independent readers. BookMates volunteers share the experience of reading one on one with children who are pre emergent and emergent readers to promote the joy of reading.
What Does a BookMate Accomplish?
- Fosters a love of reading
- Involves children in a model of reading for enjoyment
- Demonstrates reading for meaning through expression
- Models phrased, fluent reading using mainstream pronunciation
- Develops students’ sense of story
- Builds students’ knowledge of language
- Expands linguistic repertoire
- Promotes oral language development through listening and responding
- Demonstrates top to bottom, left to right directionality in reading
- Exposes students to a wide variety of fiction and non-fiction books
- Serves as a role model of an educated individual
If you have any questions about the Bookmates program, please contact Ms. Angelopoulos email@example.com
or (609) 298-0676 x3130.